Monday, June 9, 2008

India – Changing boundary

My recent search for Indian Map in Internet was quite an interesting experience. To my surprise, I found many maps available in many reliable and educational sites, which are completely different from the one we have grown up with. For discussion sake, let me consider the one available in http://maps.google.com/.

In this map, the northern state and one of the northeastern states of our country is shown with dotted boundary! Obviously, the dotted boundary was meant to denote disputed territories. The extent of the dotted boundary was significantly alarming. To the best of my knowledge, the depiction is wrong. For any country, wrong depiction of its territory is a sensitive subject.

I am surprised to see no communication from our government on this subject. I get a feeling that our policy makers are not interested in resolving this. Currently they are busy with building stronger ties with our neighbours!

Frankly speaking, we are living with this touchy subject since ever. No elected government of our land has made a sincere attempt to resolve this. And my experience tells me that any dispute left unresolved becomes convoluted over time. It is true with this matter also.

What surprises me is that a country of our proportion is keeping quite over this matter. A country with 1.1 Bn population can not define and protect its territory! Thankfully, we have sea on three sides!

No comments: