Tuesday, September 2, 2008

‘Who Dare Wins’

“Future belongs to those who dare” - these were the words written on a poster framed in my Divisional Head’s office wall. I observed it in one of the early visits, more than a decade ago. I was attracted to the poster because of two reasons –

> The sketch of two galloping horses was very dynamic
> The caption caught my eyes

I am sure; many of my colleagues would have seen that poster and some of them should be able recollect even today.

After reading the caption, I kept on thinking about the relevance of the caption. The question in my mind was “dare to do what?” May be to think or act differently – I was answering myself. But the bigger question was whether our society and corporate world accepts any “daring” move.

Since my childhood, I have always been preached to not to take paths less traveled. In middle class families of that time, “How dare you?” was very common. It was very true in organizations also. Even thinking (forget about Acting) ‘out of the box’ was not encouraged. At times it used to be misinterpreted to be disrespect to the prevailing norms (to be read as ‘people’).

Today, after many years, I keep thinking - have we changed? From Indian perspective, the whole thing is moving in circles. As a nation, we are confused – whether to stick to the tried and tested, old philosophy or to embrace some of the newer ideas. As we are deciding, time is passing by. We need to break free – earlier the better.

No comments: