Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The face of Indian Currency

Yesterday I saw the currency note released by China on the eve of Olympic. Like many kids, I was interested in collecting currency of different denominations from different countries. With time and increased exposure, I realized how the pictures on currency depict the theme, belief, and culture of one nation. I was impressed by our National Emblem – King Ashoka’s four faced lion. I also used to like the pictures on the back – tiger, tractor, elephant …..

Now I see the face of Mahatma has taken over the most of the space – including the watermark. National emblem is reduced in size and parked in one corner. With all respect to the father of the nation, don’t we have any other national leader / freedom fighter who can represent our values?

This lack of inspiration will have a serious impact on our nation. The coming generations will have very limited exposure and curiosity about the national leaders and freedom fighters. The same is applicable to the foreigners. It will reinforce their common belief that our battle of independence was fought only by Mahatma and he is the only national figure we have had since then.

No comments: